Thursday, October 14, 2010

Kununurra

Saturday 2nd October

Pulled up at a lovely shady caravan park where we will sleep for the next 3 nights. Around the caravan park are the largest mango trees I have ever seen.  The kids grabbed a bag and started picking some lovely mango's which will be our breakfast.

Just outside of Kununurra is Lake Argyle where the Argyle Diamond mine is located which is famous for the pink diamond. They employee around 500 people.

Kununurra has a lovely indigenous art gallery and also some beautiful jewellery shops. I had Nathan worried for a while when I walked out of the jewellery shop with a small bag.  I told him a have bought myself a early birthday present which was only a few thousand dollars.  I finally told him the truth and showed him the necklace which I purchased which was only $50, made by a local artist.

Spent the next day at Lake Argyle which is the largest man made lake in the southern hemisphere and has to be seen to be believed, the drive to the lake itself is astounding, showcasing some breathtaking Kimberley landscape.

In the afternoon we raced to the pub to watch the NRL grand final but missed the first half due to the time difference and the changeover to daylight saving time over in NSW. It was really weird being away in a non NRL state on grand final day.  The pub showed the match but only a handful of people were watching.  The atmosphere was not the same.  It has been the only time I said that I wish I was back at home.  At least we could get good seats :-)
Wyndham Prison Boab
Took a drive up to Wyndham, the northernmost town in WA to check out the WA Gulf, checked out the prison boab which was about 30km off the main road just south of the town, couldn't find much info on this particular one (much more info available on the prison boab near Derby) but was once used as a temporary lockup for local police.

No comments:

Post a Comment